After 5 years of construction this massive school-hospital opened its doors in 1951. This multi-million dollar facility was to serve as a home as well as a school for some 2,400 developmentally challenged children. Described as a "haven of happiness", the institute would become the home for children who's minds will never mature. Trained staff would work & play with the children creating an institutionalized world where they could enjoy life.
When opened, the facility boasted 5 miles of connecting corridors, over a mile of underground tunnels, some 10,000 doors & 12,000 windows! The facility is absolutely massive! The plans included a fully equipped hospital, infirmary, laundry, power plant, workshops, administrative buildings classrooms & an auditorium.
The facility operated for close to 60 years until the government began to it, along with many others down due to a facility initiative that was passed in 2004. The initiative was about de-institutionalizing patients & relying on community care. Although it seemed like a great idea, many of the former patients were put out on the streets to fend for themselves which lead to homelessness & incarceration as many of these people suffer from disabilities & coping skills for real world scenarios. The facility today is 95% repurposed with many companies now operating out of it. There is really only one building left on the site that is abandoned. Its a large building with plenty of excellent photo opportunities however one much not forget the people that once inhabited it.